SMALL (THE POST OFFICE) STREET, BRISTOL. ITS ANCIENT HISTORY, INFLUENTIAL RESIDENTS, HISTORIC HOUSES; THE CANNS; THE EARLY HOME OF THE ELTON FAMILY. From time immemorial Small Street, in the city and county of Bristol, two-thirds of the west side of which the Post Office occupies, has been an important street. One of the nine old town gates was at the bottom of it, and was known as St. Giles's Gate, having obtained this name from a church dedicated to St. Giles, the patron saint of cripples and beggars, which in the fifteenth century stood at the end of "Seynt-Lauren's-Laane." Here, history says, was the "hygest walle of Bristow," which has "grete vowtes under it, and the old chyrch of Seynt Gylys was byldyd ovyr the vowtes." The cutting of the trench, from the old Stone Bridge to near Prince Street Bridge, for the new channel of the Froom, was completed in 1247. Before this ELTON MANSION, SMALL STREET, BRISTOL. ELTON MANSION, SMALL STREET, BRISTOL. In this historic Small Street, and just within the old city walls, have for two or three hundred years stood certain premises, in olden times divided into three separate holdings, the freehold of which was purchased in 1903 from the Bristol Water Works Company by the Post Office, for much-needed extensions to its already large building. The facts respecting these three edifices have been culled from ancient parchments which would fill a large wheelbarrow. The premises are not of very ornate exterior now. They are interesting, however, as denoting an old style of architecture; but the exteriors have, no doubt, been so altered and pulled about to meet the requirements of successive occupiers as to be not quite like what they were originally. The structures appear to have been erected in the middle of the 17th century, probably at the end of the reign of King Charles I. (1649). The plan of Brightstowe, published in 1581 by Hofnagle, shows that the Church of St. Werburgh and its churchyard occupied one-third of the frontage of the street, on the west, or Post Office, side, and that While there may be a little regret when these The next record is that bearing date of the next day, thus:—"Mr. Cann's lease for a year of a Messuage in Small Street to Sir Abraham Elton. Date 15th August, 1723." Robert Cann "doth demise grant bargain and sell unto the said Sir Abraham Elton all that great messuage or dwelling house situate standing and being in Small Street within the parishes of St. Walburgh and St. Leonards or one of them within The several owners and occupiers of this "great house" were persons of no mean degree, as the following statement of their local positions indicates. According to Playfair's "British Family Antiquity," Vol. VII., Mr. Robert Cann was the eldest son of Sir Thomas Cann, who was the eldest son of Sir Robert Cann, the first baronet. Sir Robert Cann was the eldest son of William Cann, Esqr., Alderman of Bristol. He married the sister of Sir Robert Yeomans, who was beheaded at Bristol for supporting the cause of Charles I. Sir Robert was Councillor, 1649-1663; Sheriff, 1651-1652; Treasurer, Merchant Venturers, 1653-1654; Master, Merchant Venturers, 1658-1659; Mayor, 1662-1663; Knighted, 1662; created Baronet, 1662; Alderman 1663-1685; Mayor, 1675-1676. Under the south window of St. Werburgh's Church was a handsome monument, with a half-arch, for the family of Sir Robert Cann, of Compton-Greenfield, Bart. Richard Streamer was Councillor, 1661-1672; Sheriff, 1663-1664; Alderman, 1672-1680; Mayor [From an original painting at Clevedon Court. A.E. THE FIRST SIR ABRAHAM ELTON, BART. [From an original painting at Clevedon Court. A.E. THE FIRST SIR ABRAHAM ELTON, BART. [From an original painting at Clevedon Court. M.E. MARY, WIFE OF THE FIRST ABRAHAM ELTON, BART. [From an original painting at Clevedon Court. M.E. MARY, WIFE OF THE FIRST ABRAHAM ELTON, BART. The portraits of Abraham and Mary Elton which are here given, are reproduced, with Sir Edmund Elton's kind consent, from photographs by Mr. Edwin Hazell, of Linden Road Studio, Clevedon. The original oil paintings hang in the picture gallery at Clevedon Court. According to Barrett, in the St. Werburgh's vestry room, over the door on the inside, as part of a long Latin inscription, was the name of "Abrahamo Eltono, Guardianis, 1694." The baronetcy was conferred on him in recognition In the Board Room, at St. Peter's Hospital, under the date 1700, Abraham Elton's name appears as a benefactor for £100. In 1727, Sir Abraham Elton, Bart., gave £2 10s. per annum to five poor housekeepers in St. Werburgh's parish not receiving alms, paid September 11, £50. He died at his house in Small Street in the same year—1727. Having bequeathed considerable sums in local charities, he settled his estates in Somerset, Gloucestershire, and Wilts, on various members of his family. He was for many years head of the commerce of Bristol, a pioneer of its brass and iron foundries, owner of its principal weaving industry, and of some of its glass and pottery works, besides largely controlling the shipping of the port. His wife survived him by only two months. They are both buried in the family vault in SS. Philip and Jacob Parish Church, within the altar rails near Sir Abraham's parents. The house in Sir Abraham Elton (second baronet), baptized 30 June, 1679, at St. John the Baptist, Broad Street, was Councillor, 1710-1723; Sheriff, 1710-1711; Mayor, 1719-1720; Master, Merchant Venturers, 1719-1720; Alderman, 1723-1742; baronet, 1727; M.P., 1727-1742; died October 19th, 1742. He married on the 14th of May, 1702, Abigail, daughter of Zachary Bayly, of Charlcot House, Wilts, and of Northwood Park, Somerset. Sir Abraham Elton (third baronet), born 1703, was Councillor, 1728-1757; Sheriff, 1728-1729; Baronet, 1742; Mayor, 1742-1743; died November 29th, 1761. He died unwed. Christopher Shuter was Councillor, 1699-1715; Sheriff, 1702-1703; Mayor, 1711-1712; Alderman, 1715-1730; Governor, Incorporation of Poor, 1715-1716; Warden, Merchant Venturers, 1718-1719; died 1730. William Thornhill was surgeon to the Infirmary, 1737-1754. William Logan was physician to the Infirmary, 1737-1757; died December, 1757, aged 69. The neighbours on the right and left of the Elton mansion, mentioned hereafter, were not of great social consequence. There is, however, mention of one of them, a John Knight, having been warden of the Merchant Venturers' Society in 1671-2. The other premises (6 and 8—1903) stand on the upper and lower sides respectively of the old Elton Mansion. They belonged in 1709 to Eleanor Seager, who mortgaged them to Edward Cook for £140. The property was described in the mortgage deed thus:— "All those two messuages or tenements situate and being in Small Street in the Parish of St. Walburg (sic) in the City of Bristol in one (No. 6—1905) of which said messuages John Knight Gent now liveth and in the other of them (No. 8—1905) one M.E. Balley now doth or lastly did inhabit and dwell, in the said City of Bristol and all houses, outhouses, edifices, buildings, courtyards, and backsides to the said messuage or tenement." GARGOYLE IN ELTON MANSION WALL. GARGOYLE IN ELTON MANSION WALL. The two messuages were leased to Mary Knight by Eleanor Seager for 1s. in money by "hath granted bargained sold all these two several messuages or tenements situate being in Small Street in one of which said messuages or tenements John Knight, deceased, formerly dwelt and wherein the said Mary Knight his widow doth now dwell and in the other of them Thomas Balley Painter and Glazier doth also dwell (afterwards in tenure or occupation of John Mason Broker and Thomas Taman Gunsmith) and all the outhouses," &c., &c., &c. (as in 1709 mortgage deed). In 1758 (24 June) there was a conveyance of the two messuages from Miss Knight to Mr. Samuel Page (one of the partners with Edward Garlick, Richard Reynolds, &c.) for £700. It was this same firm which purchased the Elton "Great House" in 1772. The firm was known as Messrs. Reynolds, Getley and Company, by virtue of an indenture of co-partnership, dated 1st June, 1764. The document was signed and sealed by Richard Reynolds, Edward Garlick, Richard Summers, James Harford, William Cowles, James Getley, Samuel Page, William Weaver, John Partridge, and John Partridge, jun. The firm was engaged in the iron and tin-plate trades, and, according to the London Gazette of Saturday, March 17th, 1820, it was being carried on under the style of Harfords, Crocker, and Co. The partnership dissolved on the 30th day of June, 1821, by Alicia Calder, Elizabeth Weaver, and Sarah Davies retiring from the firm, and by reason of the death of the Philip Crocker. The business was continued by Richard Summers Harford, Samuel Harford, John Harford, William Green, and William Weaver Davies, under the firm of Harford Brothers and Co., under the date of 25th day of February, 1822. These two tenements became the property of the Bristol Water Works Company at the same time as the Great House, in 1865, and a portion The old chimney-piece—a fine specimen of mediÆval stone carving—which stood in the principal upstairs room of No. 7, used as a boardroom by the Water Works Company, the richly decorated ceiling, and the panelled walls, marked the period at which the Eltons occupied the house; and the initials A. and M.E., representing Abraham and Mary Elton (Mary, daughter of Robert Jefferies, whom he married in 1676), and the date, 1700, quaintly cut, are on the chimney-piece. The chimney-piece has been removed, and re-erected in the new Water Works building in Telephone Avenue. The inquirer of the far-distant future may be misled when he finds it in this spot, unless, indeed, there be some tablet provided to indicate and perpetuate the history of this antique stone carving. The ceiling and panelling have been purchased by Sir Edmund Elton, and taken to Clevedon Court. In letters to the Bristol Times and Mirror newspaper, certain writers have, in treating of the When King Charles II, as Prince of Wales accompanied his father to Bristol, and the Court was located in Small Street on that very site, probably he rode into, and about, the city in a coach such as is given in the illustration at page 23, but there is no doubt, that in later days, after [From a painting in the Merchant Venturers' Hall, Bristol. EDWARD COLSTON, 1636-1721. (Copyright.) [From a painting in the Merchant Venturers' Hall, Bristol. EDWARD COLSTON, 1636-1721. (Copyright.) [By permission of Mr. John Lane, The Bodley Head, Vigo St., London. CHARLES II. (From "After Worcester Fight," by Allen Fea.) [By permission of Mr. John Lane, The Bodley Head, Vigo St., London. CHARLES II. (From "After Worcester Fight," by Allen Fea.) In a report to the General Board of Health on a preliminary enquiry into the sewerage, drainage, and supply of water, and the sanitary conditions of the inhabitants of the City and County of Bristol in 1850, it was stated in a petition from Messrs. H.J.J. Hinton & Son, Small Street, "There is a filthy lane, called Leonard's Lane, near the bottom of Small Street, and which leads round into Corn Street. The state of it, in a general way, is so bad as to be quite sufficient to produce pestilence." According to the report the Parish of St. Werburgh contained 30 houses. Its population in 1841 was 99, and its area was 300 square yards. It had one burial ground, and the The "Inspector of Lamps, etc.", reported that there were 21 houses in Small Street. [By permission of Mr. John Lane, The Bodley Head, Vigo Street, London. CHARLES II. AFTER BATTLE OF WORCESTER ON ROAD TO BRISTOL. (From "After Worcester Fight," by Allen Fea.) [By permission of Mr. John Lane, The Bodley Head, Vigo Street, London. CHARLES II. AFTER BATTLE OF WORCESTER ON ROAD TO BRISTOL. (From "After Worcester Fight," by Allen Fea.) |