"The water supply was gained, up to 1802, from wells and springs which flowed from out the hillsides, these being sufficient for a small town. An ordinance passed August 9, of that year, called for the making of four wells, not less than forty-seven feet in depth. Three of these were to be located on Market street, and were to be walled with stoneā¦. Wells, with the springs at Grant's Hill, furnished the supply of water for public use until 1826." Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg. |