Racket court, Fleet street. Rag alley, Golden lane, Redcross street. Rag Fair, 1. East Smithfield. 2. Rosemary lane. Here old cloaths are sold every day, by multitudes of people standing in the streets; there is here a place called the ‘Change, where all the shops Rag street, Hockley in the hole. Ragdale court, Millman street, near Red Lion street, Holborn. Ragged row, Goswell street.? Ragged Staff alley, Fleet street.* Ragged Staff court, Drury lane.* Raindeer court, in the Strand.* Raine’s Hospital, in Fowden Fields in the parish of St. George, Ratcliff Highway, a handsome building erected by Mr. Henry Raine, brewer, in the year 1737, who endowed it by a deed of gift with a perpetual annuity of 240l. per annum, and added the sum of 4000l. in South sea annuities, amounting to about 4400l. to be laid out in a purchase. The children of this hospital, which contains forty-eight girls, are taken out of a parish school almost contiguous to it, erected in the year 1719, by the above Mr. Raine, at the expence of about 2000l. and he likewise endowed it with a perpetual annuity of 60l. The children are supplied with all the necessaries of life, and taught to read, write, sew, and household work, to qualify Ralph’s key, Thames street. Ram alley, 1. Cock lane.* 2. Cow Cross, Smithfield.* 3. St. John’s street, Spitalfields.* 4. Rotherhith Wall.* 5. Wright street, Rotherhith.* Ram’s Head court, Moor lane, Fore street, Moorgate.* Ramsay’s Almshouse, in Horns yard, Cloth Fair, was founded by Dame Mary Ramsey, relict of Mr. Thomas Ramsey, some time Lord Mayor, about the year 1596, for three poor women, who formerly received coals and cloaths; but at present only 2s. per week each. Maitland. Rampant Lion yard, Nightingale lane.* Randal alley, Rotherhith Wall.† View of Ranelagh. Ranelagh Gardens, at Chelsea; so called from their formerly belonging to the Earl of Ranelagh. This is one of those public places of pleasure which is not to be equalled in Europe, and is the resort of people of the first quality. Though its gardens are beautiful, it is more to be admired for the amphitheatre. This is a circular building, the external diameter is 185 feet, round the whole is an arcade, and over that a gallery with a balustrade (to admit the company into the upper Ranger’s yard, York street, Jermain street.† Rat alley, Great Eastcheap.* Ratcliff, by Upper Shadwell. Ratcliff School, was founded by Nicholas Gibson, Sheriff of this city, in the year 1537, for the education of sixty poor children; the master had a salary of 10l. and the usher 6l. 13s. 4d. per annum, at that time very considerable sums: at present the master has 23l. 6s. 8d. and the usher 9l. 13s. 4d. a year. This house belonging to the adjoining almshouses, is Ratcliff cross, Ratcliff. Ratcliff highway, near Upper Shadwell. Ratcliff Highway street, Shadwell. Ratcliff row, near Old Street.† Ratcliff square, Ratcliff.† Rathbone place, Oxford street. Ray’s court, Cross lane, Lukener’s lane.† Read’s rents, Long lane, Smithfield.† Rebecca’s yard, East Smithfield. Rebel’s row, near St. George’s church, Southwark. Reckman’s rents, Limehouse bridge.† Record Office, in the Tower, is kept in Wakefield’s Tower, which joins to the Bloody Tower, near Traitor’s Gate; and consists of three rooms one above another, and a large round room where the rolls are kept. These are all handsomely wainscoted, the wainscot being framed into presses round each room, within which are shelves, and repositories for the records; and for the easier finding of them, the year of each reign is inscribed on the inside of these presses, and the records placed accordingly. Within these presses, which amount to fifty-six in number, are deposited all the rolls from the first year of the reign of The records in the Tower, among other things, contain, the foundation of abbies, and other religious houses; the ancient tenures of all the lands in England, with a survey of the manors; the original of our laws and statutes; proceedings of the courts of common law and equity; the rights of England to the dominion of the British seas; leagues and treaties with foreign Princes; the achievements of England in foreign wars; the settlement of Ireland, as to law and dominion; the forms of submission of the Scottish Kings; ancient grants of our Kings to their subjects; privileges and immunities granted to cities and corporations during the period abovementioned; enrollments of charters and deeds made before the conquest; the bounds of all the forests in England, with the several respective rights of the inhabitants to common of pasture, and many other important records, all regularly disposed, and referred to in near a thousand folio indexes. Chamberlain’s Present State. Strype’s Stowe. This office is kept open, and attendance Recorder of London. This officer ought always to be a learned Lawyer, well versed in the customs of the city. He is not only the chief Assistant to the Lord Mayor in matters of law and justice; but takes place in councils and in courts before any man that hath not been Lord Mayor: he speaks in the name of the City upon extraordinary occasions; usually reads and presents their addresses to the King; and when seated upon the bench delivers the sentence of the court. Maitland. Red Bull alley, 1. Kent street, Southwark.* 2. St. Olave’s street, Southwark.* 3. Thames street.* Red Bull court, 1. Fore street, Cripplegate.* 2. Red Bull alley.* Red Bull yard, 1. Ailesbury street, St. John’s street, Clerkenwell.* 2. Islington.* Red Cow alley, 1. Church lane, Rag Fair.* 2. Old street.* Red Cow court, 1. Church lane, Caple street.* 2. Rotherhithe Wall.* Redcross alley, 1. Jewin street, Redcross street. 2. By London Bridge. 3. Long Ditch, Westminster. 4. St. Margaret’s hill, Southwark. 5. Old street. 6. Redcross street, in the Mint. Redcross court, 1. Cow lane. 2. In the Minories. 3. Old Bailey. 4. Tower street. Redcross Street Library. See Dr. Williams’s Library. Redcross square, Jewin street. Redcross street, 1. Extends from Cripplegate to Barbican: at the upper end of this street, opposite the west end of Beach lane, stood a red cross, which gave name to this street. Maitland. 2. Nightingale lane, East Smithfield. 3. In the Park, Southwark. Redcross Street School, was founded in the year 1709, by Dame Eleanor Hollis, who endowed it with 62l. 3s. per annum, in ground rents; for the education of fifty poor girls; but by additional benefactions the revenue is increased to 80l. 2s. 8d. a year. This school being kept in the same house with that of the parish boys of St. Giles’s, Cripplegate, it is generally taken for the parish girls charity school. Red Gate court, in the Minories. Redhill’s rents, Vine street.† Red Horse yard, Glasshouse yard.* Red Lion alley, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. St. Catharine’s, Tower hill.* 3. Cow Cross, Smithfield.* 4. St. John’s street, Smithfield.* 5. St. Margaret’s hill, Southwark.* 6. In the Minories.* 7. Peter’s street, St. John’s street, Westminster.* 8. Thames street.* 9. Tower Ditch.* 10. Whitechapel.* Red Lion back court, Charterhouse lane.* Red Lion court, 1. Addle hill, by Thames street.* 2. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 3. Bennet’s hill, Thames street.* 4. Bennet’s street, Southwark.* 5. Brick lane.* 6. St. Catharine’s lane.* 7. Castle yard, Holborn.* 8. Charterhouse lane, by Charterhouse square.* 9. Cock lane, Snow hill.* 10. Drury lane.* 11. Fleet street.* 12. Grub street.* 13. Holiwell lane.* 14. Kingsland road.* 15. London Wall.* 16. Long Acre.* 17. Red Lion alley, St. Margaret’s hill.* 18. Red Lion street, Spitalfields.* 19. Long alley, Moor fields.* 20. Silver street, Cripplegate.* 21. Watling street, St. Paul’s church yard.* 22. Wheeler street, Spitalfields.* 23. White Hart yard.* 24. Windmill hill.* Red Lion market, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.* Red Lion Market passage, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.* Red Lion mews, Cavendish street.* Red Lion passage, Fetter lane.* Red Lion square, by Red Lion street, Holborn. A handsome square, adorned with a lofty obelisk placed upon a pedestal in the center. Red Lion street, 1. In the Borough.* 2. A very neat well-built street, leading to Clerkenwell.* 3. St. George’s Fields.* 4. High Holborn.* 5. Spitalfields market.* 6. Wapping.* 7. Whitechapel.* Red Lion yard, 1. Cavendish street.* 2. Church street, Lambeth.* 3. Great Warner’s street.* 4. Houndsditch.* 5. Long lane, Smithfield.* 6. Long Acre.* 7. Lower Shadwell.* 8. Red Lion street.* 9. Star street, Clerkenwell.* Red Maid lane, near the Hermitage.* Red Rose alley, Whitecross street, Old street.* Red Wood alley, near Skinner’s street, Bishopsgate street without. Reddish row, Red Maid lane, Wapping. Reeve’s mews, Audley street.† Register’s Office in Chancery, Symond’s Inn, Chancery lane. City Remembrancer, an officer who on certain days attends the Lord Mayor. His business is to put his Lordship in mind of the select days when he is to go abroad with the Aldermen, &c. and to attend the parliament house during the sessions, in order to make a report to the Lord Mayor of what passes there. The King’s Remembrancer’s Office, in the Inner Temple. An office belonging to the court of Exchequer, in which there are eight sworn Clerks, two of whom are Secondaries. Here are entered the state of all the accounts relating to the King’s revenue, for customs, excise, subsidies: all aids granted to the King in Parliament; and every thing relating to his Majesty’s revenue, whether certain or casual: all securities, either by bonds or recognizances, given to the King by accountants and officers: all proceedings upon any statute by information for customs, excise, or any other penal law: all proceedings upon the said bonds or recognizances, or any other bonds taken in the King’s name, by officers appointed for that purpose under the great seal of England, and transmitted hither for recovery thereof, are properly in this office, The Lord Treasurers Remembrancer’s Office, also belongs to the court of Exchequer. In this office process is made against all Sheriffs, Receivers, Bailiffs, &c. for their accounts, and many other things of moment, as estreats, rules, &c. All charters and letters patent, upon which any rents are referred to the King, are transcribed, and sent into this office by the Clerk of the petty bag, in order to be transmitted to the Clerk of the pipe, that process may be made to recover the money by the Comptroller of the pipe. Out of this office process is likewise made to levy the King’s fee farm rents, &c. In short, when the Auditors of the revenue have made schedules of such arrears, and transmitted them to the Remembrancer, the state of all imprest accounts, and all other accounts whatsoever, are entered in this office, as well as in that of the King’s Remembrancer. Both this and the other office are in the King’s gift. Chamberlain’s Present State. Reygate, a large market town in Surry, situated in the valley of Holmsdale, twenty-four miles from London, and surrounded on each side with hills. It is an ancient borough, and had a castle, built by the Saxons, on the east side of the town, some ruins of which are still to be seen, particularly a long vault with a room at the end, large enough to hold 500 persons, where the Barons who took up arms against King John are said to have had their private meetings. Its market house was once a chapel dedicated to Thomas Becket. The neighbourhood abounds with fullers earth and medicinal plants. On the south side of the town is a large house, formerly a priory: it belongs to the late Mr. Parsons’s family, and is beautified with plantations, and a large piece of water. It has two rooms, each fifty feet long, and of a proportionable breadth; but the ceilings are much too low. The house and gardens are on every side surrounded with hills, so as to render the prospect very romantic. In this town the late celebrated Lord Shaftesbury had an house, to which he retired to seclude himself from company. Rhodes yard, Bishopsgate street.† Richard’s court, Lime street, Leadenhall street.† Richbell court, Red Lion street, Holborn.† Richmond, a village in Surry, twelve miles from London. This is reckoned the finest village in the British dominions, and has therefore been termed the Frescati of England. It was anciently the seat of our Monarchs, and the palace from its splendor was called Shene, which in the Saxon tongue signifies bright or shining; Here King Edward III. died of grief for the loss of his heroic son Edward the Black Prince; and here died Anne the wife of Richard II. who first taught the English women the use of the side saddle; for before her time they were used to ride astride; Richard, however, was so afflicted at her death, that it gave him such a dislike to the place where it happened, that he defaced the fine palace; but it was The present palace, which is finely situated, is a very plain edifice built by the Duke of Ormond, who received a grant of a considerable space of land about Richmond, from King William III. as a reward for his military services; but it devolved to the Crown on that Duke’s attainder, in the beginning of the reign of King George I. and this house was by his present Majesty confirmed to the late Queen Caroline, in case she became Queen Dowager of England. His Majesty took great delight here, and made several improvements in the palace, while her Majesty amused herself Though the palace is unsuitable to the dignity of a King of England, the gardens are extremely fine, without offering a violence to nature; and Pope’s advice with respect to planting, may be considered as a very accurate description of the beauties to be found here. To build, to plant, whatever you intend, To rear the column, or the arch to bend; To swell the terrace, or to sink the grot, In all let Nature never be forgot: Consult the genius of the place in all, That tells the waters or to rise or fall; Or helps th’ ambitious hill the heav’ns to scale, Or scoops in circling theatres the vale; Calls in the country, catches op’ning glades, Joins willing woods, and varies shades from shades; Now breaks, or now directs th’intending lines; Paints as you plant, and as you work, designs. In short, almost every thing here has an agreeable wildness, and a pleasing irregularity, that cannot fail to charm all who are in love with nature, and afford a much higher and more lasting satisfaction than the stiff decorations of art, where the On entering these rural walks, you are conducted to the dairy, a neat but low brick building, to which there is an ascent by a flight of steps; in the front is a handsome angular pediment. The walls on the inside are covered with stucco, and the house is furnished suitably to a royal dairy, the utensils for the milk being of the most beautiful china. Passing by the side of a canal, and thro’ a grove of trees, the temple presents itself to view, situated on a mount. It is a circular dome crowned with a ball, and supported by Tuscan columns, with a circular altar in the middle, and to this temple there is an ascent by very steep slopes. Returning by the dairy, and crossing the gravel walk, which leads from the palace to the river, you come to a wood, which you enter by a walk terminated by the Queen’s pavilion, a neat elegant structure, wherein is seen a beautiful chimney-piece, taken from a design in the addition to Palladio, and a model of a palace intended to be built in this place. In another part of the wood is the Duke’s summer house, which has a lofty arched entrance, and the roof rising to a point is terminated by a ball. Passing through a labyrinth, you see, near a pond, Merlin’s cave, a Gothic building thatched; within which are the following figures in wax, Merlin, an ancient British enchanter; the excellent and learned Queen Elizabeth, and a Queen of the Amazons; here is also a library consisting of a well chosen collection of the works of modern authors neatly bound in vellum. On leaving this edifice, which has an antique and venerable appearance, you come to a large oval of above 500 feet in diameter, called the Forest oval, and turning from hence you have a view of the Hermitage, a grotesque building, which seems as if it had stood many hundred years, though it was built by order of her late Majesty. It has three arched doors, and the middle part which projects forward, is adorned with a kind of ruinous angular pediment; the stones of the whole edifice appear as if rudely laid together, Leaving this seat of contemplation, you pass through fields cloathed with grass; through corn fields, and a wild ground interspersed with broom and furze, which afford excellent shelter for hares and pheasants, and here there are great numbers of the latter very tame. From this pleasing variety, in which nature appears in all her forms of cultivation and barren wildness, you come to an amphitheatre formed by young elms, and a diagonal wilderness, through which you pass to the forest walk, which extends about half a mile, and At the extremity of the garden on the north east, is another house that belonged to her Majesty, and near it the house of his late Royal Highness Frederic Prince of Wales, which is on the inside adorned with stucco. Opposite the Prince’s house is the Princess Amelia’s, built by a Dutch architect, the outside of which is painted. To the west of the gardens are seen the fine houses of several of the nobility and gentry, particularly the Lady Buckworth’s, and Mr. Geoffrey’s, and extending the view across the Thames, there appears Isleworth. But to return to the village of Richmond. The Green is extremely pleasant, it being levelled and enclosed in a handsome manner; it is also surrounded with lofty elms, and adorned on each side with the houses of persons of distinction. A sun dial is here affixed in a pretty taste, encompassed with seats: this, and the railing in of the Green, were at the sole charge of her late Majesty. Among the pretty seats on this spacious Green, is a handsome edifice that formerly belonged to Sir Charles Hedges, and since to Sir Matthew Decker, in the gardens of which is said to be the longest and highest On the north east side of the Green is a fine house, which belonged to the late Mr. Heydigger, and a little beyond it that of the Duke of Cumberland; passing by which, you come to a small park belonging to his Majesty, well stocked with deer, and opposite to it is the entrance into the gardens. The town runs up the hill above a mile from the village of East Shene, to the New Park, with the royal gardens sloping all the way towards the Thames; whose tide reaches to this village, though it is sixty miles from the sea; which is a greater distance than the tide is carried by any other river in Europe. On the ascent of the hill are wells of a purging mineral water, frequented during the summer by a great deal of good company. On the top there is a most extensive and beautiful prospect of the country, interspersed with villages and inclosures; the Thames is seen running beneath, and the landscape is improved by the many There is here an almshouse built by Dr. Duppa, Bishop of Winchester in the reign of King Charles II. for the support of ten poor widows, pursuant to a vow made by that Prelate during that Prince’s exile. There is another almshouse endowed with above 100l. a year, which, since its foundation, has been considerably increased by John Mitchell, Esq; Here are also two charity schools, one for fifty boys, and the other for fifty girls. New Park, in Surry, is situated between Kingston and Richmond. This is one of the best parks in England; it was made in the reign of King Charles I. and inclosed with a brick wall, said to be eleven miles in compass. In this park there is a little hill cast up, called King Henry’s Mount, from which is a prospect of six counties, with a distant view of the city of London, and of Windsor Castle. The new lodge in this park, built by the late Sir Robert Walpole Earl of Orford, is a very elegant edifice. It is built of stone in a square form, with wings on each side of brick. It stands on a rising ground, and commands a very good prospect of the park, especially of that fine piece of water which is in it, and which Richmond buildings, Dean street, Soho.† Richmond’s Almshouse, in Goose alley, Sea coal lane, was erected by the company of Armourers, in the year 1559, pursuant to the will of Mr. John Richmond, for eight poor old men and women, who, according to the discretion of the company, receive from five to fifteen shillings per annum each. Maitland. Richmond street, 1. Old Soho.† 2. Prince’s street, Soho.† Rickington’s court, Coleman street.† Rickman’s rents, Narrow street, Limehouse.† Rickmansworth, a town in Hertfordshire, 22 miles from London, is situated in a low moorish soil on the borders of Buckinghamshire, near the river Coln. Rider’s court, 1. Little Newport street.† 2. Rider’s street.† Rider’s street, St. James’s street, Westminster.† Rider’s yard, Kent street, Southwark.† Riseby’s walk, Limehouse.† Rising Sun alley, St. John’s street, Smithfield.* Rising Sun court, St. John’s street, Smithfield.* Rising Sun passage, Clement’s lane.* Rivers street, Savage Gardens; so called from the Lord Savage, Earl Rivers. Robert’s dock, Rotherhith Wall.† Robert’s rents, Brick lane.† Robin Hood alley, Blackman street, Southwark.* Robin Hood court, 1. Bell alley.* 2. Bow lane, Cheapside.* 3. Grub street, Fore street* 4. Near Morgan’s lane.* 5. Shoe Robin Hood lane, Poplar.* Robin Hood yard, 1. Charles street.* 2. Leather lane.* Robinson’s yard, Friday street, Cheapside.† Rochester row, Tothill fields. Rochester yard, 1. Dirty lane. 2. Stony street. Roebuck alley, Turnmill street.* Roehampton, in Surry, is situated between Putney Heath and East Shene, and is one of the pleasantest villages near London, having many fine houses of merchants scattered about, so as not to resemble a street or regular town. Rogers’s Almshouse, in Hart street, near Cripplegate, was erected by the Lord Mayor and citizens of London, in the year 1612, pursuant to the will of Mr. Robert Rogers, citizen and leatherseller, for six poor men and their wives, who have an annual allowance of 4l. each couple. Maitland. Rogues Well, Stepney fields. Rolls Office and Chapel, in Chancery lane, a house founded by King Henry III. in the place where stood a Jew’s house forfeited to that Prince in the year 1233. In this chapel all such Jews and infidels The chapel, which is of brick, pebbles and some freestone, is sixty feet long, and thirty-three in breadth; the doors and windows are Gothic, and the roof covered with slate. In this chapel the rolls are kept in presses fixed to the sides, and ornamented with columns and pilasters of the Ionic and Composite orders. These rolls contain all the records, as charters, patents, &c. since the beginning of the reign of Richard III. those before that time being deposited in the Record Office in the Tower: and these being made up in rolls of parchment gave occasion to the name. At the north west angle of this chapel is a bench, where the Master of the Rolls hears causes in Chancery. And attendance The Minister of the chapel is appointed by the Master of the Rolls, and divine service is performed there on Sundays and holidays at about eleven and three. On the walls are several old monuments, particularly at the East end is that of Dr. Young Master of the Rolls, who died in the year 1516. In a well wrought stone coffin lies the effigies of Dr. Young, in a scarlet gown; his hands lie across upon his breast, and a cap with corners covers his ears. On the wall just above him, our Saviour is looking down upon him, his head and shoulders appearing out of the clouds, accompanied by two angels. The office of the Rolls is under the government of the Master of the Rolls, whose house is by the chapel, and has been lately rebuilt in a handsome manner at the public expence. The place of Master of the Rolls is an office of great dignity, and is in the gift of the King, either for life, or during pleasure. He is always the principal Rolls buildings, Fetter lane; so called from their belonging to the Rolls office. Rolls Liberty, a small district out of the government of the city. It begins at the corner of Cursitor’s alley, next to Chancery lane, taking in the south side to the Rose tavern, where it crosses into White’s alley, which it takes all in except two or three houses on each side, next to Fetter lane; and there it crosses into the Rolls garden, which it likewise takes in; and from thence running into Chancery lane, by Serjeant’s Inn, extends into Jack-a-napes lane, about the middle of which it crosses into Pope’s Head court, which it takes all in, as it does the east side of Bell yard, almost to the end next Temple Bar, except a few houses on the back side of Crown court, which is in the city liberty; and then crossing Bell yard, near Rood lane, Fenchurch street; thus named from a holy rood or cross there. Roomland lane, Thames street. Ropemakers alley, Little Moorfields. Ropemakers field, Limehouse. Roper lane, Crucifix lane, Barnaby street, Southwark. Rope walk, 1. Near Cut throat lane, Upper Shadwell. 2. Near Elm row, Sun tavern fields. 3. Goswell street. 4. St. John street, Smithfield. 5. King David’s lane. 6. Knockfergus, near Rosemary lane. 7. Near Nightingale lane. 8. Petticoat lane. 9. Rotherhith. 10. Near Shad Thames. 11. Sun tavern fields. 12. Near Whitechapel. Rose alley, 1. Bank side, Southwark.* 2. Bishopsgate street without.* 3. East Smithfield.* 4. Fleet lane, Fleet market.* 5. Golden lane, Barbican.* 6. High Holborn.* 7. St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross.* 8. Rose street, Long Acre.* 9. Saffron hill.* 10. Shoreditch.* 11. Sugarbaker’s lane, Duke’s Place.* 12. Rose and Ball court, Addle hill, by Great Carter lane.* Rose and Crown alley, near Whitechapel.* Rose and Crown court, 1. Church lane.* 2. St. Catharine’s lane.* 3. Cock lane, Shoreditch.* 4. Fashion street, Artillery lane, Spitalfields.* 5. Foster lane, Cheapside.* 6. Gray’s Inn lane.* 7. Holiwell street.* 8. Houndsditch.* 9. Moorfields.* 10. Rosemary lane.* 11. Shoe lane, Fleet street.* 12. Sutton street.* 13. Whitechapel.* Rose and Crown yard, 1. St. Giles’s street.* 2. King street, St. James’s square.* 3. Long alley, Moorfields.* 4. Rotherhith.* Rose and Rainbow court, Aldersgate street.* Rose court, 1. Aldermanbury.* 2. Beer lane, Tower street.* 3. Bishopsgate street.* 4. Goddard’s rents.* 5. Rochester street.* 6. Thieving lane.* 7. Tower street.* 8. Bow lane.* 9. Wheeler street.* Rose lane, 1. Spitalfields.* 2. Whitehorse street.* Rose street, 1. Brick lane.* 2. Gravel lane.* 3. Hog lane, Shoreditch.* 4. Rose yard, 1. Catharine wheel alley.* 2. Newington Butts.* 3. Whitehorse street.* Rosemary Branch alley, Rosemary lane.* Rosemary lane, extends from the bottom of the Minories to Wellclose square, and is chiefly taken up with old cloaths shops. Rosewell’s court, Great White Lion street, Seven Dials.† Rosewell’s yard, Barnaby street, Southwark.† Rotherhith, vulgarly called Rederiff, was anciently a village on the south east of London, though it is now joined to Southwark, and as it is situated along the south bank of the Thames, is chiefly inhabited by masters of ships, and other seafaring people. Rotherhith School was founded in the year 1612, by Mr. Peter Hills and Mr. Robert Bell, who endowed it with 3l. a year, for the education of eight poor seamens children. Maitland. Rotherhith wall, Jacob street, Rotherhith. Rotherhith Water Works, situated at the upper end of Rotherhith Wall, and the lower end of Mill street, where the Rotten row, Goswell street. Round court, 1. Black Friars. 2. Black Lion yard. 3. Blue Boar’s Head court, Barbican. 4. Butler’s alley. 5. Jewin street. 6. St. Martin’s le Grand. 7. Moses and Aaron alley, Whitechapel. 8. Old Bethlem. 9. Onslow street, Vine street, Hatton Wall. 10. Sharp’s alley, Cow Cross. 11. In the Strand. Round About alley, Wapping dock. Round Hoop court, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.* Royal Exchange, Cornhill. This edifice, which is dedicated to the service of commerce, was founded by Sir Thomas Gresham, a merchant distinguished by his abilities and great success in trade, who proposed, that if the city would prepare a proper spot, he would erect the building at his own expence. This proposal was accepted by the Lord Mayor and citizens, who purchased some houses between Cornhill and Threadneedle street, This edifice was called the Bourse, but it soon after changed its name; for on the 23d of January 1570, Queen Elizabeth, attended by a great number of the nobility, came from Somerset house, her palace in the Strand, and passing through Threadneedle street, dined with Sir Thomas Gresham at his house in Bishopsgate street, and after dinner returning through Cornhill, entered the Bourse on the south side, where having viewed every part except the vaults, especially the gallery above stairs, which extended round the whole building, and was furnished with shops, in which were sold all sorts of the finest wares in the city, her Majesty caused this edifice to be proclaimed in her presence, by a herald and trumpet, The Royal Exchange. Sir Thomas Gresham, at his death, left the building to his Lady, and after her decease to the Lord Mayor and citizens, and to the Mercers company, directing the rents to support, under their inspection, lectures on the sciences, at his dwelling The original building stood till the fire of London in 1666, when it perished amidst the general havoc: but it soon arose with greater splendor than before. The model of the present structure was first shewn to King Charles II. who was well pleased with it, it was however debated whether they should build after that model or not; for fear of launching out into too great an expence: but the majority desiring to have it a magnificent structure, and imagining, that the shops above and below stairs would in time reimburse them, had the present edifice erected at the expence of 80,000l. The ground plat of this building is 203 feet in length; 171 feet in breadth, and the area in the middle is 61 square perches. This area is surrounded with a substantial and regular stone building, wrought in rustic. In each of the principal fronts is a piazza, and in the center are the grand entrances into the area, under an arch which is extremely lofty and noble; on each side that of the principal front which is in Cornhill, are Corinthian demi-columns supporting a compass pediment; and in the intercolumniation on each side, in the front next The north front of the Royal Exchange is adorned with pilasters of the Composite order, but has neither columns nor statues on the outside, and instead of the two compass pediments has a triangular one. Within the piazzas of these two fronts are two spacious stair cases with iron rails, and black marble steps; these lead into a kind of gallery that extends round the four sides of the building, and in which were about two hundred shops, that have been let from 20l. to 60l. a year each; and a very considerable trade was One side of this gallery is employed as auction rooms for furniture, and in other apartments above stairs are the Royal Exchange Assurance office, &c. and in the vaults are the pepper warehouse of the East India company. The inside of the area is surrounded with piazzas like those of the south and north fronts; forming ambulatories for the merchants to shelter themselves from the weather. Above the arches of these piazzas is an entablature with curious enrichments; and on the cornice a range of pilasters with an entablature extending round, and a compass pediment in the middle of the cornice of each of the four sides. Under that on the north are the King’s arms; on the south those of the city; on the east those of Sir Thomas Gresham; and under the pediment on the west side the arms of the company of Mercers, with their respective enrichments. In these intercolumns are twenty-four niches, nineteen of which are filled with the statues of the Kings and Queens of England, standing erect, drafted in their robes and with their regalia, except the statues of Charles II. and George II. which are dressed like the CÆsars. The four niches that are vacant, are those where Edward II. Richard II. Henry IV. and Richard III. should have been: upon which Maitland says, that hence it seems that the city had no mind to shew any respect to the said Kings, two of whom took away their charters, and the other two were usurpers. But why Henry IV. should be excluded as an usurper, and his brave son Henry V. and Henry VI. be placed there, who only enjoyed the crown in consequence of his usurpation, is not easily accounted for. Richard III. was indeed a monster of cruelty: but Mary was no less cruel, and yet a statue is here erected to her honour. Though Edward II. and Richard II. took away the charter of the city, King Charles II. did so too, and yet has three statues at Under the piazzas within the Exchange are twenty-eight niches, all vacant except two; one in the north west angle, where is the statue of Sir Thomas Gresham, and another at the south west, of Sir John Barnard, who is perhaps the only citizen of London, that has had the honour of having his statue erected in his life-time merely on account of his merit. In short, in the center of the area is erected, on a marble pedestal about eight feet high, another statue of King Charles II. in a Roman habit, executed by Mr. Gibbon, and encompassed with iron rails. On the south side of the pedestal, under an imperial crown, a scepter, sword, palm branches, and other decorations, is the following inscription: On the west side of this pedestal, is cut in relievo, a Cupid resting his right hand on a shield, containing the arms of France and England quartered, and holding in his left a rose. On the north side are the arms of Ireland on a shield, supported by a Cupid. On the south side is the following inscription on the base of the pedestal: ‘This statue was repaired and beautified by the company of Merchant Adventurers of England, anno 1730; John Hanbury, Esq; Governor.’ On the east side are the arms of Scotland, with a Cupid holding a thistle. All done in relievo. In the area on the inside of the Royal Exchange, merchants meet every day at twelve at noon, and a prodigious concourse of those of all nations continue there till two, in order to transact business; but North. Front of the Royal Exchange. The Royal Exchange, without critical examination, has something grand in it, and the entrance would certainly appear to more advantage if it were not incumbered with a parcel of little shops. The arcade or walks within the quadrangle have something noble, but the upper part is in a very bad taste. The statue of King Charles II. in the middle of the area is a good one. The other statues in the several niches have been lately new painted and gilt in parts. The painting is no doubt very necessary for their preservation, but it were to be wished the gilding of them had been omitted, as it must give foreigners of judgment (and such sometimes frequent this place) a contemptible opinion of our taste. The two statues, one on each side the gate, of King Charles I. and II. are particularly good. The clock tower or steeple with Gothic windows is unpardonable, and the cornices at their angles are so broke, as to appear very disgustful to an architect. Royal Exchange Assurance Office, for assuring houses and other buildings, goods, wares and merchandize from fire. This corporation was established by act of Parliament, at the same time with that of the London Assurance, when it was enacted, that such as should be admitted That no other society should insure ships, or lend money on bottomry for the future; though any private person might do it as usual. And that each of these corporations, in consideration of the many benefits that might accrue to them by their charters, should pay the sum of 300,000l. into his Majesty’s Exchequer, for discharging the debts of the civil list. These corporations however met with so little encouragement at first, that Maitland says, the crown was obliged to remit most part of the money. By a second charter granted to this corporation, they are impowered not only to insure ships, but houses, goods and lives. Maitland. This society therefore, by this last mentioned charter, assure all buildings, household furniture, wearing apparel by special agreement, and goods, wares, and merchandize, the property of the assured, except glass and china ware not in trade, and all manner of writings, books of accompts, notes, bills, bonds, tallies, ready I. All manner of stone and brick buildings, covered with slate, tile, or lead, wherein no hazardous trades are carried on, nor any hazardous goods deposited, are considered as Common Assurances, and are assured upon these terms: any sum above 100l. and not exceeding 1000l. at 2s. per cent. per annum; any sum above 1000l. and not exceeding 3000l. at 2s. 6d. per cent. per annum. II. To accommodate those who are desirous of being assured for a term of years, this corporation will assure on such buildings or goods, any sum not exceeding 1000l. at the rate of 12s. per cent. for seven years, and as far as 2000l. at the rate of 14s. per cent. without subjecting the assured to any calls or contributions to make good losses. III. Assurances on buildings and goods, are deemed distinct and separate adventures; so that the premium on goods is not advanced by reason of any assurance on the building wherein the goods are kept, nor the premium on the building by reason of any assurance on the goods. IV. Plaister or timber buildings covered with lead, tile, or slate, wherein no V. Hazardous trades, such as apothecaries, colourmen, bread and bisket bakers, ship and tallow chandlers, innholders and stable-keepers, carried on in brick or stone buildings, covered with slate, tile, or lead; and hazardous goods, such as hemp, flax, pitch, tar, tallow, and turpentine, deposited in such buildings, may be assured at the annual premiums, set down under the head of Hazardous Assurances, in the above article. VI. Any of the above hazardous trades carried on, or hazardous goods deposited in timber or plaister buildings; earthen, glass, or china ware in trade, and thatched buildings, or goods therein, are termed Doubly Hazardous Assurances, and may be assured on the following premiums: any sum above 100l. and not exceeding 1000l. at 5s. per cent. per annum: and VII. Assurances of mills, wearing apparel, and assurances to chemists, distillers, and sugar-bakers, or any other assurances more than ordinarily hazardous, by reason of the trade, nature of the goods, narrowness of the place, or other dangerous circumstances, may be made by special agreement. VIII. Two dwelling houses, or any one dwelling house, and the out-houses thereunto belonging, or any one dwelling house, and goods therein, may be included in the sum of 100l. But when several buildings, or buildings and goods are assured in the same policy, the sum assured on each is to be particularly mentioned. IX. To prevent frauds, if any buildings or goods assured by this corporation, are, or shall be assured with any other corporation or society, the policy granted by this corporation is to be null and void, unless such other assurance is allowed by endorsement on the policy. X. Every person upon application to be assured with this company, is to deposite 8s. 6d. for the policy and mark, which 8s. 6d. is to be returned, if the assurance proposed is not agreed to. No policy is to be of any force, till the premium for XI. No policy is to be extended, or construed to extend to the assurance of any hazardous buildings or goods, unless they are expressly mentioned in the policy, and the respective premium for such assurances be paid for the same. XII. No loss or damage by fire happening by any invasion, foreign enemy, or any military or usurped power whatsoever, is to be made good. XIII. All persons assured by this corporation, are, upon any loss or damage by fire, forthwith to give notice thereof by letter or otherwise, to the Directors or Secretary, at their office in the Royal Exchange, London; and within fifteen days after such fire, deliver in as particular an account of their loss or damage, as the nature of the case will admit of, and make proof of the same, by the oath or affirmation of themselves, and their domestics, or servants, and by their books of accompts, or other proper vouchers, as shall be required; and also to procure a certificate under the hands of the Minister and Church-wardens, together with some In adjusting losses on houses, no wainscot, painting, sculpture, or carved work, is to be valued at more than three shillings per yard. Any larger sum, and some of the goods excepted in the preamble, may be assured by special agreement. For the timely assistance of such as are assured, this corporation has several engines and men, with proper instruments to extinguish fires, and also porters for removing goods, each of whom has a badge, upon which is the figure of the Royal The Royal Exchange Assurance office is under the management of a Governor, Sub-Governor, Deputy-Governor, and twenty-four Directors; besides whom there are a Treasurer, a Secretary, an Accomptant, and several Clerks. Royal Mews. See the article Mews. Royal Oak alley, 1. Barnaby street. 2. Ratcliff. Royal Oak court, 1. Kent street, Southwark.* 2. Parker’s lane, Drury lane.* 3. Peak street, Swallow street.* Royal Oak yard, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Hockley in the Hole.* 3. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.* Royal row, 1. Lambeth marsh. 2. Near Windmill hill. Royal’s court, Horselydown lane, Southwark. Royal Society, in Crane court, Fleet street. This society, which took its rise from a private society of learned and ingenious men, was founded for the improvement of natural knowledge. The honourable The meetings of these literati, which began about the year 1650, continued at Oxford till 1658, when the members being called to different parts of the kingdom, on account of their respective functions; and the majority coming to this city, they constantly attended the astronomical and geometrical lectures at Gresham college, where, being joined by several persons of the greatest learning and distinction, they continued to meet there once or twice a week, till the death of Oliver Cromwell: when anarchy succeeding, they were obliged to quit their place of meeting, on account of its being converted into military quarters for the reception of soldiers. However, the storm being soon after allayed by the restoration of King From these small beginnings, this society soon arose to be one of the most celebrated in all Europe: for their design being favoured by some ingenious men who had followed the King in his exile, his Majesty granted them a charter, dated the 15th of July 1662, and then a second charter, dated the 22d of April 1663, whereby they were denominated, The Royal Society, and made a corporation, to consist of a President, Council, and Fellows, for promoting natural knowledge and useful arts, by experiments; in this charter his Majesty declared himself their founder and patron, giving them power to make laws for the government of themselves; to purchase lands and houses; to have a common seal, and a coat of arms. No sooner was this Royal Society thus incorporated by King Charles II. than that Prince made them a present of a fine silver mace gilt, to be carried before the President; and as a farther mark of favour, their royal patron, by his letters patent of the 8th of April 1667, gave them Chelsea A little before the society received these letters patent from his Majesty, the honourable Henry Howard, afterwards Duke of Norfolk, made them a present of a very valuable library, on the 2d of January 1666. This collection was part of the royal library belonging to the Kings of Hungary, originally kept at the city of Buda. Upon the decease of Matthias Corvinus, the last King of the Hungarian race, it was disposed of, and about two thirds of the books were bought by the Emperor, and are now in the imperial library at Vienna: the remaining part coming to Bilibaldus Perkeymherus of Nuremberg, it was purchased of him by the Earl of Arundel, on his return from his embassy to the imperial court. This fine collection consists of 3287 printed books in most languages and faculties; The noble benefactor, at the time of his donation, desired that the inscription of, Ex dono Henrici Howard Norfolkciensis, might be put in each book: and that in case the society should happen to fail, the library should revert to his family. This the society not only readily complied with, but some years after caused the following inscription to be set up in the library: Bibliotheca Norfolciana. Excellentissimus Princeps Henricus Howard, AngliÆ, Comes ArundeliÆ, SuriÆ, NorfolciÆ, & Norwici, &c. Heros, propter familiÆ antiquitatem, animi dotes, corporis dignitatem, pene incomparabilis, bibliothecam hanc instructissimam (quÆ hactenus Arundeliana appellabatur) RegiÆ Societati dono dedit, & perpetuo sacram esse voluit. Pro eximia erga se liberalitate, Societas Regia tabulam hanc, devotÆ Mentis testem, fixit; PrÆside Josepho Williamson, Equite Aurato. A. D. M.DC.LXXIX. Besides this Arundelian or Norfolk library, which takes up a large room, another curious and valuable collection was left the society in the year 1715, by their Secretary Francis Aston, Esq; which together with the numerous benefactions of the works of the learned members, in all faculties, but more especially in natural and experimental philosophy, amount to above 3600, and are placed in glass cases in another room. The museum belonging to the society, was founded by Daniel Colwall, Esq; in the year 1677, who gave his excellent collection of natural and artificial curiosities, which compose the greatest part of the catalogue published in the year 1681, by Dr. Grew, under the title of Museum Regalis Societatis. But these curiosities, by the generous benefactions of other curious persons, are now increased to above six times the number of those mentioned in the catalogue. In short, by the above Royal and other benefactions, the admission money, and annual contributions of the members, this society was at length in so flourishing a condition, that they applied to his late Majesty King George I. for an additional privilege to purchase in mortmain 1000l. instead of 200l. per annum, which he was pleased to grant by his letters patent, in 1725. Among the Fellows of this society are his Majesty King George II. and many of the greatest Princes in Europe. The officers chosen from among the members, are, the President, who calls and dissolves the meetings, proposes the subjects of consultation, puts questions, calls for experiments, and admits the members that are from time to time received into the society. The Treasurer, who receives and disburses all the money. The two Secretaries, who read all letters and informations; reply to all addresses or letters from foreign parts, or at home; register all experiments and conclusions, and publish what is ordered by the society. The Curators, who have the charge of making experiments, receive the directions of the society, and at another meeting bring all to the test. Every person to be elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, must be propounded and recommended at a meeting of the society, by three or more members; who must then deliver to one of the Secretaries a paper signed by themselves with their own names, specifying the name, addition, profession, occupation, and chief qualifications; After a candidate has been elected, he may at that, or the next meeting of the society, be introduced, and solemnly admitted When any one is admitted, he pays a fee of five guineas, and afterwards 13s. a quarter, as long as he continues a member, towards defraying the expences of the society; and for the payment thereof he gives a bond; but most of the members on their first admittance chuse to pay down twenty guineas, which discharges them from any future payments. Any Fellow may however free himself from these obligations, by only writing to the President, that he desires to withdraw from the society. When the President takes the chair, the rest of the Fellows take their seats, and those who are not of the society withdraw: except any Baron of England, Scotland, and Ireland, any person of a higher title, or any of his Majesty’s Privy Council of any of his three kingdoms, and any foreigner of eminent repute, may stay, with the allowance of the President, for that time; and upon leave obtained of the President and Fellows present, or the major part of them, any The business of the society in their ordinary meetings, is, to order, take account, consider and discourse of philosophical experiments and observations; to read, hear, and discourse upon letters, reports, and other papers, containing philosophical matters; as also to view and discourse upon the rarities of nature and art, and to consider what may be deduced from them, and how far they may be improved for use or discovery. No experiment can be made at the charge of the society, but by order of the society or council. And in order to the propounding and making experiments for the society, the importance of such experiment is to be considered with respect to the discovery of any truth, or to the use and benefit of mankind. The Philosophical Transactions are printed at the charge of the society, and the Clerk delivers gratis one of the copies to every Fellow of the Society who shall demand it, either in person, or by letter under the hand of such Fellow, within one If any Fellow of the society shall contemptuously or contumaciously disobey the statutes or orders of the society; or shall by speaking, writing, or printing, publicly defame the society, or maliciously do any thing to the detriment thereof, he shall be ejected. The meetings of the Royal Society are on Thursdays, at five o’clock in the afternoon. The members of the Council are elected out of the Fellows, upon the feast of St. Andrew in the morning; when after the election they all dine together. Eleven of the old council are chosen for the ensuing year; and ten are elected out of the other members. Then the President, Treasurer, and Secretary are elected out of these. But the same persons are usually rechosen into these offices. Royal vineyard, St. James’s Park. Rug row, Cloth fair, Smithfield. Rumford, a town in Essex, 12 miles from London, and 5 from Burntwood, is a very great thoroughfare, and is governed by a Bailiff and Wardens, who are by patent impowered to hold a weekly court for the trial of treasons, felonies, debts, &c. and Rummer court, Charing Cross. Run-horse yard, David street, Grosvenor square.* Rupert street, 1. Coventry street. 2. Goodman’s fields. Russel court, 1. Blue Anchor alley, Rosemary lane.† 2. Cleveland row, St. James’s.† 3. Drury lane.† 4. Ratcliff highway.† Russel’s Mill stairs, Rotherhith.† Russel street, Covent Garden; so called from the Duke of Bedford, upon whose estate it is built. Russia Company, a body of merchants incorporated by letters patent, granted by Queen Mary on the 6th of February 1555, by which they were not only impowered to carry on an exclusive trade to all parts of the Russian empire, but to all such countries as they should discover in those northern parts. In consequence of this charter, they soon after discovered the Cherry Islands, Greenland, Nova Zembla, Newfoundland, Davis’s Streights, and Hudson’s Bay; and their first Governor In consideration of these valuable discoveries, their privileges were confirmed by Parliament; and in the year 1614 enlarged by King James I. In the year 1742, the Russia company obtained leave of the present Czarina Elizabeth, to trade with Persia thro’ Russia, and between the years 1743 and 1749, Mr. Hanway observes, they imported raw silk to the amount of 93,375l. value in Persia: but Mr. Elton, one of the company’s agents, being employed by Kouli Khan, who then sat on the Persian throne, to build some ships of force on the Caspian sea, the Russians apprehended they should be disturbed by the Persians in their navigation over that sea, and therefore put an end to the traffic of the British Russia company through Russia to Persia. This company exports cloth of all sorts, both dressed and dyed; kersies, baize, cottons, fustians, perpetuanoes, Norwich stuffs, lace, thread, lead, tin, pewter, allum, copper, and most other sorts of English commodities: and we import from thence, cordage, tar, tallow, potashes, cable yarn, bees wax, linen cloth, isinglass, hides of several sorts, both tanned and raw; hogs bristles, linseed, This company is under the management of a Governor, four Consuls, and twenty-four Assistants, annually chosen on the 1st of March, who keep their courts monthly, or as occasion requires, in a large room in the Old East India house in Leadenhall street: but considered as a company, their trade at present is not very considerable; it being carried on chiefly by private merchants, who are admitted to reap the profit of trading to Russia, on paying 5l. each. Rutland court, 1. Charterhouse square. 2. Glasshouse yard, Goswell street. 3. Near Puddle dock, Thames street. Rycaut’s court, Morgan’s lane.† |